Blanket Binding – Easy to Sew Satin Edging
Blanket binding is a fabric trim sewn over the border of a blanket or quilt to give a nice finished edge that won't fray. It is typically made of satin to add a soft texture to the edge of the banket. It is machine washable and pre-folded to make sewing easy.
Choosing Your Blanket Binding
- Blanket Binding is typically around 2" wide.
- It can be used on either quilts or homemade blankets.
- Blanket binding comes in a wide variety of patterns and designs (including ombre, rainbow, neon, or cartoon characters), so you can choose the best complimentary color for the pattern on your blanket or quilt.
- A package generally contains 4.75 yards of binding. To figure out how much blanket binding you need, measure the length of each side of your blanket or quilt and add 4 extra inches.
- If you would prefer to use a different kind of fabric or a pattern that is not available, you can make your own blanket binding with a 2.25" bias tape maker.
How to Sew Blanket Binding
- Blanket binding is folded off-center to make it easier to use. When you sew the binding onto the blanket, start with the narrow side up.
- Fold the binding over the edge of the fabric, pin, and sew as close to the woven edge of the binding as possible.
- To sew around a corner, sew complete to the edge, then stop and cut threads. Do not cut the blanket binding.
- Fold the binding in a nice right-angle pleat, and continue sewing, making sure to backstitch at the pleat. It is best to sew along the diagonal to be sure the fold stays secure.
- At the final corner, stop 6" from the edge. Cut the binding an inch past the edge of the blanket. Dray a fold line following the edge of the blanket and iron it. Turn the corners to form the 45-degree angle, and pin.
- Go back to the 6" mark, backstitch, and finish sewing. The thickness of a blanket could cause the binding to warp or pucker. If this happens, loosen the stitch tension to reduce the puckering.
Popular Blanket Binding Brand
More Information and Tips On Blanket Binding
Save and Share