Card and Envelopes – Basic Supplies and How-to's
Cards and envelopes are the basic starting supplies required to create unique cards. Paper craft card making is the perfect place to get creative! Cards and envelopes are blank and ready to be embellished. Cards and envelopes come in a variety of colors. Cards and envelopes are often sold together, but card making paper is also available, as are envelope packs. It is best to look for acid-free and lignin-free cards and envelopes as they will not age as quickly.
Common Card and Envelope Sizes
Craft Card Tools and Supplies
Printed Paper - Add paper embellishments to your cards without adding bulk
Scoring Tools - These will help give even and smooth creases in the folds of your cards.
Punches - can be used to add embellishments to your cards. Use border punches for a good effect, or add punched paper.
Rubber Stamps - When your handwriting isn't up to par, turn to an alphabet stamp for a homemade touch.
Adhesives - Use acid free adhesives for long lasting cards
Card sleeves are clear envelopes used to protect handmade cards, trading cards, or any other card that you want to keep safe. Card sleeves are acid free, lignin free, archival quality, and buffered, and will protect cards from dirt, oils, and acids. Paper Accents Card Sleeves come in 5.5" x 8.5" or 2.5" x 3.5."
Tips for Card Making
- Don't take ideas from cards that you see in stores. Card making is much more personal, think about who you will give the card to and what they will like.
- Try to avoid drawing directly onto the card, it could make an impression on the other side.
- Don't worry about perfection, homemade cards should look homemade.
- Get creative with dies and punches, layer them, add rubber stamps and other embellishments.
- Try to get creative with scraps too, sometimes layered shapes can look great as a background.
- Don't forget the envelope! It's another place to express your creativity!
Popular Card and Envelopes Brands
Card and Envelopes Decorating Ideas
Card Making Projects
An Easy to Create Spiral Pop Up Card
Coming Up Butterflies Spinner Card
Celebration Pop Up Card
Layered Rose and Butterfly Card for Mom
Happy Birthday Pop-Up Card
For tutorials on handmade cards and envelopes, visit ThinkCrafts.com!
Save and Share