Curtain Grommets – Installation, Colors and Materials
grommets help to reinforce the holes made at the top of
curtains that are made for a curtain rod and prevent the fabric
from fraying. They add a decorative and attractive touch to
ordinary curtains while adding strength to the parts of your
curtains that take a lot of wear and tear over time. Curtain
grommets come in many different sizes, colors, and materials to
match your decor.
Adding Curtain Grommets to Your
There is no tool necessary when installing, all you will need is
a pair of scissors and some way of measuring the fabric to be cut,
though some brands, such as Dritz Curtain Grommets, come
with templates to cut from.
- Measure the space where you want to hang your curtain. A
good rule of thumb when buying fabric is to use twice the width of
the window. Decide how many grommets are needed to create the
- Mark the center of the area for the grommets along the
top. Allow for at least 2 inches of fabric above the
grommet. Be sure to place one at either edge, and evenly
space them along the middle.
- Cut out the center of each hole, slightly smaller than the
grommet opening. This will be the inside diameter of the grommet,
and its size.
- Align the curtain grommet pieces on either side of the hole and
- Repeat until each hole has a grommet.
Curtain Grommet Materials and Styles
Curtain grommets come in many different colors and materials
- Metallic-- Brass, Gold,
Nickel, Copper, Bronze, and Silver
- Gold curtain grommets can even come in a brushed metal or matte
- Plastic-- Black, White, Red,
Fuschia, Green, and Yellow. Plastic grommets are a true,
shiny plastic material.
- Matte black grommets can also be purchased.
- There are many other multi-colored choices as well such as
redwood, camo, and marble.
Curtain Grommet Manufacturers
Project Ideas with Curtain Grommets
Curtain Grommets don't have to be used only when installing
curtains, here are some more ideas that use curtain grommets
- Use curtain grommets to reinforce a purse handle instead of
sewing it on.
- Place around the hem of a skirt for a unique, young look.
- Use 3/8" curtain grommets to decorate a belt.
For a great bracelet to make using grommets, visit ThinkCrafts.com!
Save and Share