Feathers – Types and Colors for Craft Projects
Feathers are a basic craft component. They come in a variety of sizes and colors, and can be used to accent almost any craft project. There are many different types of feathers to choose from, each with distinctive sizes and colors to fit your needs.
Types of Craft Feathers
- Marabou - are the soft feathers that grow on the underbelly of an African marabou stork. They are used for making feather boas and are also sold in bags for various projects.
- Turkey quills - these feathers are long and thin, and come in a variety of colors.
- Peacock - beloved for their long plumes and iridescent shades of blues and greens.
- Pheasant - known for their striped and patterned feathers in dark and light neutral shades.
- Goose - soft and inexpensive. They are often dyed bright colors. Some people use goose biot feathers for hair clips.
- Guinea - comes from a Guinea hen. They are generally short, but have a pretty spotted pattern on them.
- Duck- could be in natural or dyed colors. Known for their nice shape and small size, very versatile for craft projects.
Feathers can be used as a fun accent or trim for many household items. They can be glued around a picture frame, sewn to the cuffs of sleeves, or wrapped around a banister for an easy party decoration. The simplest way to create a feather trim is to use a boa
and craft glue. A boa can also be placed across a mantle or table to include feathers into your decor.
Manufacturers of Craft Feathers
Craft Ideas Using Feathers
- Quill pen (goose or turkey quills)
- Hair ornaments
- Accent decoupage
- Embellish scrapbooking
- Add flair and texture to paper crafts
- Fishing tackle/lures
- Bridal accessories
Projects Using Feathers
Crafts for Kids with Feathers
Cupid's Cute Quiver
Whoot Owl Wreath
For more craft ideas and tutorials that use feathers, visit ThinkCrafts.com
Save and Share