Feathers – Types and Colors for Craft Projects
Feathers are a basic craft component. They come in a
variety of sizes and colors, and can be used to accent almost any
craft project. There are many different types of feathers to choose
from, each with distinctive sizes and colors to fit your
Types of Craft Feathers
- are the soft feathers that grow on the underbelly of an African
marabou stork. They are used for making feather boas and are also
sold in bags for various projects.
quills - these feathers are long and thin, and come in a
variety of colors.
- beloved for their long plumes and iridescent shades of
blues and greens.
- known for their striped and patterned feathers in dark and
light neutral shades.
- soft and inexpensive. They are often dyed bright colors.
Some people use goose biot feathers for hair clips.
- comes from a Guinea hen. They are generally
short, but have a pretty spotted pattern on them.
could be in natural or dyed colors. Known for their nice shape and
small size, very versatile for craft projects.
Feathers can be used as a fun accent
or trim for many household items. They can
be glued around a picture frame, sewn to the cuffs
of sleeves, or wrapped around a banister for an easy party
decoration. The simplest way to create a feather trim
is to use a boa and craft
glue. A boa can also be placed across a mantle or table to include
feathers into your decor.
Manufacturers of Craft Feathers
Craft Ideas Using Feathers
- Quill pen (goose or turkey quills)
- Hair ornaments
- Accent decoupage
- Embellish scrapbooking
- Add flair and texture to paper crafts
- Fishing tackle/lures
- Bridal accessories
For more craft ideas and tutorials that use feathers,
Save and Share